Skip to main content

Tanning without sun! Dove vs. Johnson's

Last winter i was all about tanning beds. I used to go to chill there at least once a week. Yes, i was looking very nice and tanned, but after doing some research and carefully analyzing my skin i saw quite a few new moles so i decided that it's just not worth it. Health is worth so much more than a tan, right?
So i was looking for an alternative way to tan because i was getting pale. And the spring was coming.
The skirt season!
So one day i saw Dove Summer Glow on sale and decided to give it a try. I liked it. Since then i allways have these kind of products in my bathroom. I gave one of them to my mom, so that i could get her opinion too.

Both product labels claim to "gradually build an even flawless tan" and "give your skin 24h moisturisation".So it's basically the same product. Can one be better than another? Let's compare them, shall we?
  •  Dove Summer Glow
This one i got first, so as i had nothing to compare it with, so back then i really liked it. It really did a good job moisturizing my skin, it felt so soft and smooth even untill the next shower. The smell is a little unusual, bet that's the problem with all these kind of lotions. It's not that bad, it's actually nice fragrance. But just a little strong. It seems that they tried to cover the self tanner agent stink so bad they had to use stronger scent. But i was okay with it. The label says that the tan should be visible after 5 days of using. The light "glow" was visible actually after few hours after application. After second day i was even more "glowy". Third day - more. Fourth day i began to see streaking on my legs. It was really unattractive. Though i used exfoliator before using it, every day...It didn't seemed to work. The same thing happened to my mom. The biggest minus of this product is that it takes a while for it to dry on the skin. I had to walk around for like a good 20mins to be completely dry. Also, it fades out a little bit uneven... but if you use exfoliator it should help. I bought it in "fair to normal skin", but it looked a little bit too orange on my legs(yup, that's my problem area). But it did it's job- gave me beautiful tan on my arms and the rest of the body(except legs), my skin was amazingly soft and glowy. :) I'd rate it 4 out of 5. My mom gave it 5 out of 5. Even with the streaking...
  • Johnson's Holiday Skin
I bought that one just to compare it to the Dove one. Though this one actually was the first that kind of lotion ever. So Johnson's is an originator for lotions with self-tanner. I actually liked the smell of it more than the smell of Dove's Summer Glow. Though for a lot of people it's more unpleasant. It's also has the same hint of self tanner stink, but it's covered differently...In a lighter way. I liked it better. It is more thick compared to Dove, but it dries out way faster. As it claims, it leaves my skin soft and moisturized for a long time. I was able to see some soft tan other day after the application. After using it for 5 days i never saw ANY streaking. Even on my legs. I bought it in Fair to medium, but it wasn't orangish as Dove. My skin looked like i had spent the weekend in the beach. I'd rate it 5 out of 5 :)

So to conclude- both products live up to their expectations. They both give you a nice natural glow and keeps your skin moisturized. I rated Johnson's Holiday Skin higher because i didn't get streaky from it. And i like the smelll better.


Since this is a nice way to give yourself "back from the beach" look, i wouldn't recomend it to use every single day. Eventually, after putting layer after layer of fake tan you will start to look orange. This is a great way to enhance your tan, or to look less pale before some event, or the beach season.
Or to make yourself feel better in this cold and snowy winter :)

Comments

  1. Thank you for your insight!

    I think I am going to have to give Johnson's a go in preparation for summer and see what I think!

    Liesl :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried a self tanner once and the smell was just so overwhelming that I stopped! but hmm dove summer glow sounds like a good one to try for sure

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you wrote this post. I think it's so important to let people know how harmful tanning beds are. You can find an affordable self tanner that even smells good. Check my page out I wrote some things on it. I'm obsessed with skin care ;)
    http://urskinalicious.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dove is great! I also like L'Oreal.
    I am not going to solarium anymore :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool review! I always try to keep my skin healthy by staying out of the sun. Have you ever tried Loreal Sublime Bronze? That's my personal fave, and it's pretty cheap as well!
    I love you blog, I'm following =) Check out mine and do the same if you like!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been to a tanning salon only once in my life and I'm not going back lol after reading so many horrible stories of people getting cancer in their 20's all because of regular use of sunbeds. It's just not worth it.

    I've lost count of how many self tanners I've tried. I ALWAYS self tan because otherwise I look super pale like a ghost and don't like it lol. I haven't tried the Johnsons' one but I've read good reviews about it...
    My fav self tanners are the St Tropez gradual one, St Moriz and maybe the Estee lauder one that came out last summer. The Garnier spray one is also quite good because it doesn't streak :P

    xoxo!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, I do believe this is a great site. I stumbledupon it ;) I am going to come back
    once again since i have bookmarked it. Money and freedom
    is the best way to change, may you be rich and continue
    to guide other people.

    Also visit my homepage Le Parfait

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The truth behind cheapness of Coastal Scents. Fake MAC.

Since it's April Fool's day what can we found better to talk about but fools? :D And what if we combine it with our favorite subject - beauty? One of the reasons why i actually wanted to write about this is because since i do aloooot of research online i found some interesting theories about some famous brands. Well brand to be exact - Coastal Scents. Almost everyone interested in make-up knows this brand and owns their 88 palette. I do to. I bought it from their website directly a while ago. Everything is great. I like the quality, the palette is really well pigmented, it was cheap, i got amazingly kind costumer service (they answered tons of my e-mails very fast) The question is - why i only had to pay 18 dollars for the whole pallette, when alot of people compare their shadows to MAC brand, which costs 14 dollars per unit. And here i got even 88 different colours. The thing is... everything from Coastal Scents are made in Hong Kong or somewhere near by. It's not bein

Guest Post: How to Apply False Lashes Correctly

This article is written cooperating with Videojug, the essential website for expert "how-to" videos. http://www.videojug.com/ In the last few years, celebrity culture around the world has seen the popularity of false lashes skyrocket. There has been a huge increase in the eye makeup market in general, with many alternatives to false lashes, such as volume enhancing mascara, becoming popular, too. For many, false eyelashes are where it’s at when it comes to having a unique sense of personal style. One only has to visit a local shopping centre to see the number of stalls offering to apply false lashes to understand the surge in popularity. Effects of False Lashes Why are false lashes proving so popular among women of all ages? · Add instant glamour to eyes · Effect of widening small eyes · Rejuvenate tired eyes, making them look younger and refreshed There are several great brands that offer high quality lashes in various styles. We aren’t going t

How to Make Your Hair Grow Faster

Sorry so much for beeing m.i.a. for a while, i've been busy as hell, cause i was studying on my history pre finals... Do you know, that something really boring happened to someone really ugly in the middle ages? Anyway, i aced it, and i can dedicate slightly more time to blogging :) So i was at the hair salon earlier this week, to get them dyed and trimmed. I dye my hair way too  much. The color of it changes more than the shape of my eyebrows... I can't really remember my natural hair colour. It has been strawberry blond, bright red, aubergine, brown, mahagony..... I can go on for a while actually..... So i decided to make it nice and natural now, i came out chocollaty brown. It's so different from what i've had. So i'm in my hairdressers chair, we're chatting and she says to me, that she noticed that i am a lot thinner than i were (thanks, but that's not a compliment for me) and that i have alot of new baby hair growing (yay). I never really noticed t